Thursday, June 11, 2009

#58: Money & Finance: Banking, Budgeting, and Spending

My bank offers online banking and it's free. I am a little tempted by the idea of paying bills online and being able to check the status of my account anytime without waiting for a statement to come in the mail. I don't like the idea of doing anything medical or financial online, though, so I don't use online banking. The bank's web site does make a big deal about how secure their setup is. SiteKey and SafePass are two of the tools they use to make it more secure. I don't think there are any other measure that I could and should use to make it more secure than the bank already has.

I looked at Mint, expensr, and Wesabe. (I couldn't tell anything about Foonance in the short time I looked.) They all offer where-does-it-go, create-a-budget, and all-your-accounts-in-one-place, but otherwise their features vary. Honestly, I don't need any of these services.

Regarding the Consumer Reports article, I was interested in the parts about using shopping bots to check prices on general merchandise, phone/internet/TV, and insurance, because those are areas where I feel I could improve on what I spend.

No comments: