Here are the new tools I have used as a result of iHCPL and my thoughts about their impact on my life:
1. I think I’ll copy all the iHCPL stuff from my blog into a Word document and save it there. Then I’ll delete the iHCPL stuff from the blog, leave the puppy stuff, add some more puppy stuff in the near future, and the wait and see if I make any other entries to the blog to justify keeping it. I probably won’t.
2. I might actually keep the Flickr account as a way of sharing puppy photos and vacation photos with my family and friends. I think this is my favorite “thing.” I certainly didn’t expect to like it so much.
3. I don’t expect to use the Flickr mashups & 3rd party sites, but it’s nice to know they’re there.
4. I probably won’t use the photo editing tools, but I might.
5. I’m not sure about the Bloglines account. For someone that reads a lot of blogs or news sites, it could be a real timesaver. For the most part, blogs seem to be a place for people to go on and on about things I don’t care about, though. I don’t read them and I don’t feel the need for any newsfeeds, either. Right now, I have hundreds of feeds in there that I haven’t read. Maybe I’ll keep Library Link of the Day and LII and unsubscribe from everything else.
6. I don’t think I’ll use the online image generators, but it’s nice to know they’re there.
7. I doubt that I’ll ever use LibraryThing, but it’s nice to know it’s there.
8. I don’t need Library Elf, but I’ll probably recommend it to some customers.
9. I need to remember to use the HCPL Del.icio.us account, and I would like to use the Del.icio.us account I created, but I’ve never succeeded in uploading my favorites.
10. I don’t think I have any use for Technorati.
11. I’m sure I’ll be using wikis more and more in the future for work-related things. I won’t use them for anything personal.
12. I won’t use a social networking site. I don’t need one in order to have friends or keep in touch with them.
13. I don’t expect to use Zoho or any other online substitutes for Office, but it’s nice to know they’re there.
14. I may occasionally look at YouTube from time to time for a few laughs and might use it for something work-related.
15. I might do a podcast training session sometime, but don’t think I have any other use for podcasts.
16. I’m not interested in audiobooks or (as of right now) ebooks, but will probably begin downloading music in the very near future.
HCPL is already making good use of Flickr, Del.icio.us, wikis, YouTube, social networking sites, and downloadable media, and I expect us to expand use of these tools in the future. Bloglines is also a way for staff to keep up on the latest library news.
This program has assisted or affected my lifelong learning goals in the sense that it has given me new knowledge and awareness that’s good to have even if I don’t personally use the new tools I’ve learned about.
Now, how do I close all these accounts?
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment