Thursday, October 25, 2007

Week 7: #16 Wikis

1. I accessed the iHCPL wiki and created a login for myself.
2. I didn't want to add my blog to the favorite blogs page, so I added a favorite or two to the other pages on the wiki (movie and vacation spots).
3. As has been stated many times, the wiki's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. The fact that anybody can post to one means readers have access to expertise from people all over the world. The fact that anybody can post to one also means there is no guarantee that the person that's posting knows what he's talking about or even intends to be truthful.

I thought all of the wikis linked from the iHCPL blog were great ideas, including conference wikis and "best practices" wikis. I hope that there are lots of book lovers wikis out there and that I find them some day. I certainly think hosting a book lovers wiki is a good idea for a library, along with subject guides. And I can see where a staff wiki would be better for some applications than an intranet. One example might be using a wiki to post ideas, experiences, resources, etc. for library programs.

No comments: